This unusual allium has a purple red bulbils that sprout green wispy “hairs”.
Flower Colour: Purple and green
Size Flower: 5cm/2″
Flowering Time: June/July
Planting time: Autumn
Position: Sun/part shade
Soil type: Fertile well drained
Planting depth: 3-4x depth of bulb
Sold as: Bulb
Hardiness: Fully hardy
Pre-order your bulbs now!
Shipping of bulbs ordered starts the beginning of September!
Allium bulbs are ideally planted before the end of November. This will give the bulbs the best chance for growing a good root system before the winter cold set in.
- Plant 3-4 times the depth of the bulb
- In well drained soil
- Sunny light position
- Can be grown in pots and containers
- When planted in pots and containers use a good quality compost and re-pot annually in fresh compost, after flowering season.
- These bulbs are fully hardy
- Avoid poor drained soil/compost and waterlogged conditions, especially during the dormant period after flowering.
- The browning leaves during flowering can be cut off without harming the bulb or flower, although it is always better to leave foliage where possible.
Dispatch of our autumn planting bulbs runs from the beginning of September through to the beginning of December.